Follow Me on PinterestFollow on Bloglovin

Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day- yay or nay??

I hate Valentine's Day in a lot of ways. I am not a bitter single, I'm a romantic and I think being in love is awesome and I am happy for so many of my coupled-up friends, but 14th Feb is so over-marketed and consumerist, it's just ridiculous. People are pressured into buying or doing something on this one day out of the whole year.

 However, I do agree with the sentiment.  I think it's really important to tell or show someone how much they mean to you. I don't think any of us know how long we've got and think that we should be grateful for the important things in life.  Despite this, I personally can't see the appeal of sitting in a restaurant with loads of other couples doing exactly the same thing, ruining any intimacy or uniqueness. To be honest, I would rather have a surprise on another day, doing something different/ spontaneous, that has far more meaning for you as a couple.  I don't mean that to sound unappreciative but I just don't think that making some generic gesture on a date that has been etched in your brain by marketing campaigns bombarding you for the past few weeks, makes you particularly amazing or unique.

Do something for you as a couple, whether it's staying in watching your fave films/listening to music, one of you cooking for the other, going somewhere that means something to you, whatever.  I think homemade cards are very sweet and thoughtful but flowers, chocolates,teddies, balloons, Valentine's meals etc are all so contrived and boring.  I dislike red roses, I think they are very naff and tacky.  I think that Valentine's is so try-hard that actually, you don't have a great time. 

I think there's a lot to be said for imperfections; I think some of the best, funniest and most memorable times in life are when things haven't gone as planned and I think that the over-organisation of Valentine's Day squashes any room for adventure. 
E.g.  You receive a card/ flowers, you go for a meal with every other couple in the universe, you wear the red/black satin/lace underwear. Yawn! 

 By all means, if this appeals to you then ignore my ranting and be happy, but personally, it doesn't float my boat. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not judging anyone, merely expressing my thoughts and opinion, yours may very well be completely different! :)  I'm also not putting myself above all this, don't get me wrong, in the past I have gone for meals etc... 
This isn't just my single brain talking, even when part of a couple I have felt like this and know many couples who share my views on Valentine's Day.

What happened to spontaneity and imagination and the simple things?

Make your cards/presents, hide thoughtful presents,choose another day, surprise them!!

Ultimately, I think it has to be from the heart, not because you're expected to/have to but because you are genuinely happy to be with your partner.

Am I asking for too much??
  
Peebreeks xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment